Sunday, May 22, 2016

Color Blocking Hemlock Tee

 
You know, half of our dinning table is cluttered with my sewing machine and newly acquired serger, together with other sewing related things. I use the other half for pattern and fabric cutting. As much as I like having friends over for meals, I don't exactly enjoy the part that I have to pack away all of my sewing possessions and take them out the next day. In the picture above, I'm looking at a deck space in our front yard that is going to be my studio one day. It's a little project that should keep M busy for the coming months.  
 
After much hesitation and hearing horrid stories related to a serger, I got mine 5 days ago. And I'm only kicking myself for not getting it any sooner. For a long while, I hadn't been happy with how the inside of my garment look like. My Elna sewing machine has an overlocking stitch, but after two years of sewing, my standard has evolved and the inside of the seams just don't look professionally finished.
 
I've got an Elna 664 now. It sews up knits like cutting butter. The threading is so easy that you can follow the diagram and thread the machine in under 3 minutes. This hemlock tee is its very first produce. The pattern is a must for any beginners. It's very forgiving due to its oversized shape. I've lengthened the sleeves and shortened the body to suit my body. 
 
I don't know why I like this photo of a pale looking me with no makeup at all. I'm keeping things real here. The light grey part is rib knits, and the blocking fabric was sold to me as suede, but it's definitely a kind of brushed single fleece. I accidently burned a little with my iron, right in the center of the hem. I'm pointing it out so you know, like I said, that I'm keeping things real. I top stitched the back where the color blocking seam is, but found the rib knits stretched a little and formed a wavy line. So I decided to just the front as is.

I'm still at the learning stage of my serger and I'm retaining myself from going a crazy knits shopping. The new week is going to be exciting and hopefully, more productive.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great, congrats on your new 'baby'
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Still feeling pretty much like an immature even after two years of sewing.

      Delete
  2. A wardrobe essential. Like the colour blocking - makes it look more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've worn it so many many times this winter. Definitely an essential.

      Delete